Skip To Content

Inpatient Claims

What are Inpatient Claims?

Inpatient claims are bills submitted for program level (facility-based) services such as:

  • Inpatient Services
  • Residential Services
  • Day Treatment Services (Partial Hospitalization Services)
  • Structured/Intensive Outpatient Services (IOP)

    Additionally, facilities may submit bills for:

  • Behavioral Health Assessment in the Emergency Room,
  • Observation Services, and
  • Crisis Services
What form do I use to submit Inpatient Claims?

Typically, these claims are submitted on a UB-04 claim form using industry-standard, contracted revenue codes. Each UB-04 must be accompanied by a complete itemization for all services. See a list of Optum preferred revenue codes below. If you are a participating provider, it is important that you utilize the codes reflected on your agreement, or risk denial of claim payment(s).

How do MD fees get paid?

MD fees associated with facility-based services may or may not be included in your contracted reimbursement rate. If MD fees are not included in the negotiated facility program rate, Optum will create an individual authorization in the psychiatrist's name. In such cases, the MD fees must be billed separately using a CMS-1500 form, or by using the Claim Entry feature. If you have questions about an authorization for a specific member, please call the number on the back of the member's ID card for further information.

How do I get a UB-04 Claim Form?

You can do a web search for information on ordering UB-04 Claim Forms.

What if I submit a facility bill on a CMS-1500 form?

Optum recognizes that some facilities may need to bill for certain contracted services on this "non-facility" claim form. Unfortunately, Optum has a limited capacity to accept facility-based claim information on the CMS-1500 form. If you are uncertain about which claim form to submit your facility-based claims with, or you need information on how to bill for facility-based services on a CMS-1500, contact your Optum Facility Contracting Manager for more information.

If I submit a facility bill on a CMS-1500 form, can I submit it through the Claim Entry feature on Provider Express?

While Provider Express allows contracted hospitals/facilities secure access, it is not configured to allow access to hospitals/facilities to submit claims.

Optum Preferred Revenue Codes
Optum Preferred Revenue Codes Program Description Rev Code
ECT (Inpatient/Outpatient) 0901 + CPT
MH Inpatient 0124
MH Inpatient Intensive 0204
MH Partial Hospitalization 0912
MH Residential 1001
MH Structured Intensive Outpatient 0905
MH/SA Assessment in the Emergency Room 0919 + S9485 (or)
0919 + 90791/90792
MH/SA Crisis Stabilization in the Emergency Room 0761
MH/SA Observation 0762
SA Ambulatory Detox - Alcohol 0945 + CPT
SA Ambulatory Detox - Drug 0944 + CPT
SA Inpatient Detox 0126
SA Inpatient Rehabilitation 0128
SA Partial Hospitalization 0912
SA Residential 1002
SA Structured Intensive Outpatient 0906
Sober Living/Transitional Living 1003

MN = Mental Health (Psych)
SA = Substance Abuse (Chemical Dependency)